Thursday, January 14, 2010

WHAT YOU CAN DO WITH SCRAPS

I have decided scraps are good. After cleaning and reorganizing my sewing room and discovering all the scraps I had, I was determined to make use of them. I made this lap quilt completely from those scraps. The sashing, binding, backing and batting was from my stash. This quilt will be given to the women at the Attic Window Quilt Shop who donate their time, money, batting and fabric to make quilts for those in a wheelchair, which they donate to the Veterans Administration. I am giving this to them for distribution. This is a very worthy cause and you do not need to come to the shop to work on one of these quilts (though it would be fun to join the group and socialize a bit). You can make these quilts in your own home. The Quilts for Wheels group will be glad to take your finished project for distribution.

What I have discovered though is that making something out of scraps generates more scraps. This is the left over backing, sashing and binding. I will just add them to my scrap box and use them when making another quilt. This has been so much fun and so rewarding that I recommend that you put your scraps to good use and make a donation project.
PS: I forgot to tell you that this was done as part of Loft Creation's No Strings Challenge. Check it out. She has some great ideas as to what to do with those scraps.

Quilt Soup has a new free pattern out. It's called Petal Path and is really cute.

In case you missed it in the Country Register, the Noble Wife has a free stitchery for you. Very cute.

Until next time,
Caroll

5 comments:

Martina said...

Great idea. Looks lovely with those scraps!
Have a great time

Allie said...

What a wonderful quilt, and all from scraps - great job!

SandyQuilts said...

Nice quilt ... where can I find the pattern? thanks

Nina Lise@Mrs Moen said...

Isn't it amazing what you can do with a bunch of scraps; your quilt is lovely! I love scrap quilting, but the number of scrap boxes just keeps growing.
I too signed up for the string challenge at Loft Creation's. I have a box of scraps & strings collected for string quilts that has been sitting on my shelf for 3 years now, and it's time to finish another one.

Nanette Merrill said...

Incredibly clever. I love the look.

lkjlkj

Attic Window Teachers

Attic Window Teachers
Attic Window Teachers

Quilting for Kids With Cancer

Quilting for Kids With Cancer
Generosity has no bounds. Above are the women in the Quilts For Kids group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Left to right, Henrietta, Phyllis, Nancy, Carol, Karen. These women donate their time, fabric, money once a month to make quilts for kids who have cancer.

Quilts For Wheels

Quilts For Wheels
Many thanks and much appreciation goes to the women who work diligently each month to make quilts for those in wheel chairs. Kudos go to: Yvonne, Mary T., Fran, Joan, Mary Ellen, Barb, Lee Ann, Nancy, Mary.
Quilting Bloggers Logo