Friday, August 10, 2012

IS THIS MODERN?

What do you think?  Is this a modern quilt?  Well, it’s a pillow, but would you consider it modern? I’ve been thinking about what I like to do and wondering if you would call it modern.  

In a recent article The Modern Quilt Guild said that it “is quilting in a style that seems “urgent and meaningful to us now””.

The Cincinnati Modern Quilt Guild said that “Modern quilting is a new twist on the traditional art of quilting.”

I did a Google and still am not sure.  As I scanned all the articles I came to the conclusion that to me, modern quilting means stepping out of the box and doing your own thing.  Blocks can be wonky.  Colors can be anything in the rainbow.  Fabrics need not always be cotton.

Quilting Daily said  “Lots of white in the background is a hallmark of modern patchwork quilting style.”  I think that is true to some extent, but I’ve noticed lots of grey being used as backgrounds and I like that.  I’ve noticed some quilters are using linens too.

I do think straight line quilting gives a quilt or a pillow a more modern look.  Simple.  Straight lines.  A clean look.  These are my ideas for a modern look.  Most of all I think the modern quilter is unafraid.  The modern quilter steps out of the box, does not follow a specific pattern, but follows her heart as the project speaks to her (or him). (Of course, I'm not there yet because I'm still asking, is this okay?)
This is the same pillow in my black chair.  I get bored easily and think that is why I have so many UFOs.  I make a few blocks and then, bored, look around for something else to do, and start another new project.   That is why I started this pillow.  I used the fabrics I had on hand (left over from my Monster Patch quilt) and a few buttons from my button jar, and this process of creating kept my attention until it was completed.
I even used scraps for the back.   Hope you like it as I have lots of fun creating it.

Don’t forget:  Happy Scrappers Quilting Bee meets Saturday at the shop.  All quilters/stitchers are welcome!

Attention-Happenings at the Attic Window Quilt Shop:

Special Sale on Clearance Fabrics
50-75% off all clearance fabrics during the month of August.

Month of August and September - Sign up for a class and receive a coupon for 1/2 off your second class, good until December 31, 2012. (excludes BOMs, and special events)

More reminders:
The AQS Quilt Show and Contest is being held at DeVos Place Convention Center here in Grand Rapids, MI August 22-25. 

The West Michigan Quilters’ Guild, “Quilts on the Grand” show is October 5-7 at the DeltaPlex Arena.  Mark your calendar now!

Shabby Fabrics has some cute free patterns for you.  Check it out.

PS:  I've linked up to Confessions of a Fabric Addict.  Check it out what other blogs have to show you.

Until next time,

Stay Calm! Stay Kind! Stay Positive!
Caroll

14 comments:

Allie said...

Yes it is modern, Caroll, and I LOVE IT! Any way you turn it the design is perfectly balanced, the colors are wonderful, it's a work of art!

MalinisQuilts said...

Your pillow looks absolutely modern. I still new to modern quilting and when I do something I have to keep guessing if its modern enough.

I guess, as long as we're happy with it and its out of the box it is modern.

Chris Dodsley @made by ChrissieD said...

Whatever it is, it's stunning. Popped over from Whoop Whoop Friday, good to meet you :)

Sara said...

I like all your definitions! Especially the one stating it is unafraid! That is true!!

I like that you created a new pillow out of a older one:)

Quiet Quilter said...

Quilting reminds me of cars and clothes....in a good way....New "fads" are found all the time...the good ones stay around and influence future quilters...And it all becomes a quilting history that anyone can research and/or choose from...More power to the modern and thank goodness for the availability of the past.

Lynn said...

Looks modern and fabulous to me!

Annie said...

I certainly would call it modern. I love your pillow! The bright fabrics, the hand stitching and varied button sizes are all eye candy to me! Not to mention that straight line quilting is my fave!

Lynette said...

It's definitely modern! Love the spots fabric and the buttons. Very cool.

Denice Barker said...

I don't like the new 'labelling' thing. It seems like we're all being boxed now by how we do things everywhere in our lives. Are we 'green' enough? Do we live in a red or blue state? Are we modern? Etc. It's everywhere. Now, we're defining whether we are modern or traditional quilters. I've heard 'modern' quilting defined as 'not remaking traditional patterns in different colors.' It's quilting. Period. We all have our own color preferences and styles and techniques and we all come out with a quilt in the end. Can't we just be quilters? Some people love reworking the historical patterns (that were new once themselves) and some don't.
I love your pillow, I love your bright color preferences in all of your work, and I love the design. It's all great. And it's you.

GeeGee said...

I guess all the "old" quilts were modern at the time they were made. My motto is forget the labeling and make what YOU love and enjoy.

BarbU said...

Carroll your pillow is great. I say, to each his own on the definition of "Modern Quilting". I think you would probably get a different opinion from just about anyone you ask. As long as you are happy with it, that's all that matters. I think your creation looks wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Definitely modern. I love it. You did a fab job.

Mama Pea said...

I'm not sure how modern is defined, either, but I definitely thing this is modern. It looks great. Well done, Caroll!

Nancy Page said...

Love your pillow, so bright and cheery, very modern!! Great work! Love the back as well.

Have a super great sewing and stitching day!

lkjlkj

Attic Window Teachers

Attic Window Teachers
Attic Window Teachers

Quilting for Kids With Cancer

Quilting for Kids With Cancer
Generosity has no bounds. Above are the women in the Quilts For Kids group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Left to right, Henrietta, Phyllis, Nancy, Carol, Karen. These women donate their time, fabric, money once a month to make quilts for kids who have cancer.

Quilts For Wheels

Quilts For Wheels
Many thanks and much appreciation goes to the women who work diligently each month to make quilts for those in wheel chairs. Kudos go to: Yvonne, Mary T., Fran, Joan, Mary Ellen, Barb, Lee Ann, Nancy, Mary.
Quilting Bloggers Logo