Monday, January 15, 2018

HAVE YOU TRIED FREEHAND CURVED PIECING?

I didn't get much done on Saturday when attending the Happy Scrappers at the Attic Window Quilt Shop.  However, while there I saw a 2015 edition of American Patchwork and Quilting magazine.  In it there was an article where Jean Wells teaches a new technique, freehand curved piecing.  CT Publishing had sent me a video tutorial last year and I fell in love with what Jean did.  However, I never had time to try it out.  So Saturday I started this block and finished it today.  I will make three more and make them into a pillow as shown in the magazine.  This was especially exciting because I swore I would not buy new fabric until I used up some of my stash.  I quickly gathered up my stash of solids and used them for this block.  Now I will be all ready for the new solid fabrics that will soon be on the floor at the Attic Window Quilt Shop.  I got a glimpse of them and they are to die for!!

If you would like to see Jean's video, go to You Tube and google her name.  She has several videos on this technique.

DON'T FORGET to sign up for the Heart of Winter Tour bus trip on Saturday, Feb. 10th.  You can read about it here.  I'm really looking forward to visiting the four shops on the tour.
AT THE ATTIC WINDOW QUILT SHOP
  • Tuesday, Jan. 16
    • Bee, 10 a.m.
    • Civil War BOM, 1 p.m.
  • Wednesday, Jan. 17
    • Sampler, 9:30 a.m.
    • Civil War BOM, 10 a.m.
    • Embroidery Bee, 10 a.m.
    • Trip Around the World Quilt, 3-5 p.m.
  • Thursday, Jan. 18
    • Doll Bee, 10 a.m.
    • Beginning Quilting, 6-8 p.m.
ON ANOTHER NOTE:
  • Jacquelynne Steves has a tutorial for a Valentine's Day Mini Quilt.  So cute and still time to make it.
  • Check out Mary Lou's post for today.  My wonky hearts and cat is on her blog.  
Caroll,
Caring, Sharing, Creating Smiles

2 comments:

bobbi said...

Oh you did gooood, Caroll, love it! I think her name was Heike Schaefer, a Swiss lady taught us how that´s done in a Hundertwasser class years ago, templates/rulers were banned and at first we were so afraid to just slice into yardage freehand--even the experienced quilters! :o) Got to do some freestyle now and then, good therapy. xoxo Bobbi

Allie-oops Designs said...

That is fantastic!!!! I have one of her books but still haven't tried it. After seeing your block I'm going to have to!

lkjlkj

Attic Window Teachers

Attic Window Teachers
Attic Window Teachers

Quilting for Kids With Cancer

Quilting for Kids With Cancer
Generosity has no bounds. Above are the women in the Quilts For Kids group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Left to right, Henrietta, Phyllis, Nancy, Carol, Karen. These women donate their time, fabric, money once a month to make quilts for kids who have cancer.

Quilts For Wheels

Quilts For Wheels
Many thanks and much appreciation goes to the women who work diligently each month to make quilts for those in wheel chairs. Kudos go to: Yvonne, Mary T., Fran, Joan, Mary Ellen, Barb, Lee Ann, Nancy, Mary.
Quilting Bloggers Logo