Wednesday, November 30, 2011

FREE PATTERN OR HOW NOT TO LET IT BUG YOU


Have you ever noticed how certain things just bother you?  Well, I have.  Take the last month, for instance.  I was being the good little housekeeper (for a change) and actually putting my Halloween decorations away until next year.  Little did I know how much that would bug me.

I had placed a cute little jack-o-lantern wall hanging on the door leading into my kitchen.  It was there for the entire month of October.  I had never had anything there before, but once I took it down and put it away, that empty spot bugged me.  It was like when your kid moves out.  I felt lost, alone, empty.  It was like walking into Mother Hubbard’s Bare Cupboard.  Each day my grumbling grew worse. 

“Just cool it,” my daughter said during her recent visit. She also said, as she looked at my dining room table that there wasn’t a flat surface in my house that didn’t collect things.  She accused me of now attacking the doors.  “Before you know it every door in this house will be covered with a quilt of some kind.”  Well, what’s wrong with that, I wondered as I stared at the bare door.  That empty spot was like fingernails on a blackboard.  I had to do something!  I searched my storage area for an appropriate piece to hang there, but nothing was “just right.” 

 
Therefore, I took charge. 

I decided to fix things once and for all.  I drew this rooster, appliqued it with bright fabrics, did a little embroidery embellishment, and hung it on my door.  (Click on the picture to get a closer view.)  Now, I feel so much better every time I enter my kitchen.  This bright little fellow makes me smile.  I hope he will make you smile too.  You can download the free pattern here.   I want to apologize.  I did not realize the pattern was not all there.  I have corrected it and you can get the full Rooster pattern here.  The individuals pieces are still found at the above/original link. 

A few instructions:  I used the fusing method of applique on this rooster, so if you want to do a different method of applique, be sure and leave about an extra fourth inch of fabric outside the design template.  Important:   Use both the dotted and solid lines for the outline of your template.  The dotted line is only to indicate that the edge goes underneath another fabric (the one next to it on the picture).  I cut my background fabric to about 12 X 13; then after the applique is complete and the quilting done, I cut it down to about 10 X 11.  If you have any questions on how to make Mr. Rooster, feel free to leave a comment or write me an e-mail.  Enjoy!

Stay Calm! Stay Kind! Stay Positive!

Caroll

22 comments:

Terry said...

I'm not into roosters, but this one's so cool! Well done Caroll! :0)

laura said...

Thanks so much I have an empty spot too! TFS

Barb said...

This is just tooooooooo stinking cute!!

Calicojoan said...

That's just too darn cute. My hubs complained just once about quilts on every surface and wanted to know if we were going to have a garage sale for them all. It was the last time he complained. Oh yea he's alive, but has had to fix his own meals for some time now!! hahahaha

Nancy Page said...

Love this rooster! Absolutely love it, so bright and cheery. So nice of you to share the pattern. Thank you so much.

Have a super great sewing and stitching day.

Mary said...

Too cute!@! I love him. Thank you for sharing the pattern.

tink's mom said...

Now that he has officially moved in and become part of the family, will he still go by his sir name of Rooster or does he have a first name?

I also don't see anything wrong with quilts popping up any and every where in a house. Do you ever have seasons overlap because you no longer see that a quilt is season specific? I put all of my Halloween stuff back in the attic I thought when I realized that I still have Sun Bonnet Sue witches hanging in the hall. I think it's my favorite wall hanging.

Funoldhag said...

Darling pattern for the rooster! Would be fun to make. Since we share first names, I am curious about the spelling of your Caroll. I was actually named after my grandmother's maiden name of Carroll, but have never seen our name spelled like yours is. When I was about 13 (centuries ago) I added a "e" to mine because of Carole Lombard, but went took if off again later on. Also, our snow is melting fast! It was gorgeous. Carol

Funoldhag said...

Should have proofread before I put the comment up! I'm sure you will get the idea, though.

sew.darn.quilt said...

Oh my gosh ~ I can't stop chuckling over this snappy chappy! His expression is priceless! My hubby got quite a kick out of your pics sooo thank you for the download cuz I'm buildin' a bird!

Carolyn

Allie said...

Oh Caroll he's so adorable, I love him! YES every space needs a quilt, doors included, especially in winter - I tend to put mine away in summer, then load the place up in winter, lol. We all need something bright and cheery to look at on these long grey days. Thank you so much for sharing your gorgeous rooster!!!

Vicky F said...

Hi Caroll,
Lots of comments today!
Very, very cute chicken! Aren't you the artsy one, just drawing up a pattern.
I may have to make one, too!
Vicky F

CREATIVE KHADIJA said...

How Cute! I like the colorful turkey :)
you are so talented dear!
Thanks for following my blog! I like yours & now following back!!

Mama Spark said...

He is just what the doctor ordered in MI during our cold, drab winter months!! Thanks so much for sharing him!

Linda said...

Your rooster is awesome!!!! You did such a beautiful job!!!

Kathy said...

Oh how I LOVE that crazy rooster! I really want to make one but can't seem to get the whole pattern. Does anyone else have the right sides and bottom of the pattern pages missing or is it just me?

Anonymous said...

Absolutely great rooster - love your color choices - bright & sassy.

West Michigan Quilter said...

Kathy sorry about the pattern. I didn't realize the problem, but it has now been corrected. Check out my correction in the post.

Mama Pea said...

Caroll, it is is cute! Good for you and thanks for sharing! You are so talented! Every horizontal surface in my house collects stuff, too. :-(

Unknown said...

I was directed to a strange Google ad when I tried to access your pattern. I just love your rooster and think I have the perfect space for him.
Thanks for your help.

West Michigan Quilter said...

Diane, did you get the pattern? I'm not seeing that there is a problem. If you didn't get the pattern, send me your email address and I'll mail it to you. Computers...you gotta love em! Caroll

Bonnie said...

Just ran across your Chicken pattern. I love it! I remember, as a child, we had lots of chickens on our small farm in central Ohio. Thanks for your generosity..

lkjlkj

Attic Window Teachers

Attic Window Teachers
Attic Window Teachers

Quilting for Kids With Cancer

Quilting for Kids With Cancer
Generosity has no bounds. Above are the women in the Quilts For Kids group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Left to right, Henrietta, Phyllis, Nancy, Carol, Karen. These women donate their time, fabric, money once a month to make quilts for kids who have cancer.

Quilts For Wheels

Quilts For Wheels
Many thanks and much appreciation goes to the women who work diligently each month to make quilts for those in wheel chairs. Kudos go to: Yvonne, Mary T., Fran, Joan, Mary Ellen, Barb, Lee Ann, Nancy, Mary.
Quilting Bloggers Logo