Wednesday, March 20, 2013

HAVE YOU TRIED QUILTING IN A CIRCLE?


Okay, I know I should have been working on the quilt I showed you yesterday, but when I read my e-Mails this morning before going into my sewing room, I saw that Pile of Fabric had sent  a link to a video for making improve curves.   This video reminded me that in February I made an improve curve block and sent it to Pink Please.  I enjoyed making the block and made some more.  Above are the four I made, all stitched together.  However, I didn't know what to do with them.  It was really too large for me to do anything with (each block was 15” square) so I just left them on the design wall and went on to other things.  After seeing the video this morning I decided to reduce the size of my improve blocks and do the quilting in a circle that I have wanted to try. 

These are the blocks reduced in size to 9 ½” inches.  I sewed them together and got the sandwich ready to quilt.
Above they are all quilted.  I loved doing the quilting in a circle.  It goes so fast and there is no stopping and starting as in a more traditional method of quilting.

Here the quilt is finished and bound.  I’m not sure I liked the binding, but it snowed all day and this really is just a test piece, so I was determined to use whatever fabric I had on hand.
Now, what do I do with this piece?  Here it is on the library table in the east window.  Nope!  Not here.
Looks kind of dorky here on the chair near the west window.
Guess I’ll use it here as a table topper under my Begonia.  Looks, okay for a practice piece, don’t you think?  I hope you'll try making some improve curves and quilting in a circle.  It's not only fun, but freeing!

On Another NoteClover and Violet has a Charming Patchwork Lunch Bag Tutorial.

PS:  I'm Linking up to Confessions of a Fabric Addict.  Whoop! Whoop!

 Until next time,

Stay Calm! Stay Kind! Stay Positive!
Caroll 

9 comments:

Terry said...

It looks great! :0)

Ellie Q said...

I like it! Nice and bright! The quilting looks great too!

Lynn said...

I love it!

bobbi said...

Great splash of colors, especially on a snowday! Hugs, Bobbi

Vicki {Quilting Lodge} said...

Love the improv circles and the quilting is fantastic!

Mama Pea said...

I think it's great. I love the juxtaposition of the wonky circles with the very neat circles. The quilting really makes it!

Mina said...

I am making this block right now from the tute at Pink Please! How did you quilt your circles? I couldnt get mine to work so I ripped it out a few times.

Sara said...

Love all that curving going on and you had a lot of fun I can tell!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

That is really a striking little quilt, and it looks pretty happy there under your plant - a spot of brightness.

lkjlkj

Attic Window Teachers

Attic Window Teachers
Attic Window Teachers

Quilting for Kids With Cancer

Quilting for Kids With Cancer
Generosity has no bounds. Above are the women in the Quilts For Kids group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Left to right, Henrietta, Phyllis, Nancy, Carol, Karen. These women donate their time, fabric, money once a month to make quilts for kids who have cancer.

Quilts For Wheels

Quilts For Wheels
Many thanks and much appreciation goes to the women who work diligently each month to make quilts for those in wheel chairs. Kudos go to: Yvonne, Mary T., Fran, Joan, Mary Ellen, Barb, Lee Ann, Nancy, Mary.
Quilting Bloggers Logo