Wednesday, February 12, 2014

HOW TO USE THOSE UFO BLOCKS

Recently, while visiting my son and daughter-in-law, I noticed they needed some additional hot pads.  I asked if they would like me to make some and they eagerly replied “yes” and asked for placemats too.  I haven’t gotten to the place mats yet, but I did take a couple of my UFO blocks and made these hot pads.
I love trying to make a new block.  I think I made this one last year.  My problem is that after I’ve made a block, I go on to something else.  Consequently, a lot of UFO blocks.
I think I made this one while practicing my curve piecing a couple of years ago.  I decided to do some quilting in a circle on this one.  That was quick and easy.
On this one you can see that I took the opportunity to practice some free motion quilting in the separate spokes.  These were fun to make and when another friend told me she needed some hot pads too, I was thrilled.  I love making these small items and think they do improve my skills.

HAPPENINGS THIS WEEK AT THE ATTIC WINDOW: 
  • The Happy Scrappers meet on Wednesday, Feb. 12th, and on Saturday, Feb. 15th.  Don’t forget to bring things for show-n-tell.
  • Learn how to make the pineapple block and use the new tool with Marilyn on Thursday afternoon from 1-4.
  • Don’t forget the Red ♥ Sale Day on Friday, Feb. 14th.
  • Also on Friday is UFO Night from 3 – 9.
ON ANOTHER NOTE:  Attention all Scrappy quilters and Modern quilters.  The Woman On The Hill has a tutorial for a scrappy improve block. 

Until next time,

Stay Calm! Stay Kind! Stay Positive!
Caroll

2 comments:

Lin's Quilts said...

Great idea. Depending on the size/number of blocks, you could make mug rugs, placemats or hotpads. I have some lonely blocks calling my name now.
linsquilts.blogspot.com

Lynn said...

Such happy pot holders! After I finish something big I'm always in the mood to do a couple of small projects. Pot holders from orphan blocks is a great idea.

lkjlkj

Attic Window Teachers

Attic Window Teachers
Attic Window Teachers

Quilting for Kids With Cancer

Quilting for Kids With Cancer
Generosity has no bounds. Above are the women in the Quilts For Kids group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Left to right, Henrietta, Phyllis, Nancy, Carol, Karen. These women donate their time, fabric, money once a month to make quilts for kids who have cancer.

Quilts For Wheels

Quilts For Wheels
Many thanks and much appreciation goes to the women who work diligently each month to make quilts for those in wheel chairs. Kudos go to: Yvonne, Mary T., Fran, Joan, Mary Ellen, Barb, Lee Ann, Nancy, Mary.
Quilting Bloggers Logo