Wednesday, February 19, 2014

WHAT DO YOU DO TO KILL TIME?

Another hot pad and a couple of potholders.  Can you tell it’s snowing again and I’m bored.
This is a close-up of the hot pad.  It is made from one of my “stretch your skills” blocks that I posted about some time ago.  I just went through my UFO blocks and decided to make this one into a hot pad.  I like the circular quilting, but when I do this, the block does not lay flat.  I wonder what I am doing wrong.  Anyone know why this happens?  Does it happen when they do a large circle on a large quilt?  I’m curious.
I made these potholders from a kit that I picked up at Quilted Memories when I was on the Heart Of Michigan Bus Tour.  It is called the “Strip It” Pot Holder and each kit includes enough fabric, and Insul-Bright to make two potholders.  I’d love to learn how to apply binding with a sewing machine (no hand sewing).  I’ve seen others do it on other blogs, but was too afraid to try it on these since they are a gift and I wanted them to look nice.  

HAPPENINGS AT THE ATTIC WINDOW
  • Stitch-In on Friday, Feb. 21 and Saturday, Feb. 22.  Be sure to make your reservation now for this fun-filled event.
  • UFO Day on Monday, Feb. 25. This is a great time to get out of the house and work on those put-aside projects.
  • Applique Bee meets Tuesday, Feb. 25 from 1-4 p.m.  This is a new Bee and all are welcome to come sit and sew.  From time to time we will have demonstrations.
  • The Modern Bee will meet on Wednesday, Feb. 26, from 10-2.  This is a new Bee being formed for those who are interested in Modern Quilting.  This initial meeting we will discuss what modern quilting is and what our meetings will involve.  Also, information will be distributed about the Great Lakes Modern Quilt Guild and how we can participate in that.
ON ANOTHER NOTE: Sycamore Hill Quilts has a Sycamore Rose BOM.  You can find block one here.

Until next time,

Stay Calm! Stay Kind! Stay Positive!
Caroll

2 comments:

Terry said...

I love your hotpad! :0)

Lin's Quilts said...

The hotpad looks flat in the pictures. Please post when you get an answer to that question. Or forward the answer, or something that works. Thanks
linsquilts.blogspot.com

lkjlkj

Attic Window Teachers

Attic Window Teachers
Attic Window Teachers

Quilting for Kids With Cancer

Quilting for Kids With Cancer
Generosity has no bounds. Above are the women in the Quilts For Kids group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Left to right, Henrietta, Phyllis, Nancy, Carol, Karen. These women donate their time, fabric, money once a month to make quilts for kids who have cancer.

Quilts For Wheels

Quilts For Wheels
Many thanks and much appreciation goes to the women who work diligently each month to make quilts for those in wheel chairs. Kudos go to: Yvonne, Mary T., Fran, Joan, Mary Ellen, Barb, Lee Ann, Nancy, Mary.
Quilting Bloggers Logo