Thursday, December 20, 2012

HAVE YOU TRIED THIS BASTING METHOD?

Between baking and shopping and family, I have been able to spend a small amount of time in my sewing room, fortunately.  I say fortunately because I noticed that I get a bit cranky if I don’t get to fondle my fabric.  So today I hand basted this heart table runner.  I blogged earlier about it here.

I used the method that Sharon Schamber uses.  In this video she shows you how to use boards when basting a quilt.  I took a class from her when the West Michigan Quilter’s Guild brought her to town.  I like this method and feel that it secures the three pieces of the sandwich and keeps me from worrying about wrinkles. 
Notice the masking tape around the edges.  This Knife Edge binding that the magazine (where I found the pattern) describes is very different from those I saw on the Net.  I put on the masking tape as a guide so I would know when quilting, not to stitch beyond this point.  Maybe after the holidays I’ll get a chance to actually quilt it.

On Another Note:  Pink Chalk Studio has a tutorial for a water bottle carrier that I think is pretty cool!

Until next time,

Stay Calm! Stay Kind! Stay Positive!
Caroll

4 comments:

Lynn said...

I have seen that basting method and tried it once. It worked pretty well for me.

Laurie said...

I've used Sharon's basting method on several quilts now.. it takes a bit of time (for a kingsize) but it works really well!

Miriam said...

I have used Sharon's method before too. It works wonderfully every time!

Merry Christmas!

Mama Pea said...

Caroll, I made a bunch of comments on your blog posts, but was trying a new method through my iPad. But I'm not seeing them. I am wondering if they posted. Will you let me know if you got them? I will feel bad if you didn't!

lkjlkj

Attic Window Teachers

Attic Window Teachers
Attic Window Teachers

Quilting for Kids With Cancer

Quilting for Kids With Cancer
Generosity has no bounds. Above are the women in the Quilts For Kids group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Left to right, Henrietta, Phyllis, Nancy, Carol, Karen. These women donate their time, fabric, money once a month to make quilts for kids who have cancer.

Quilts For Wheels

Quilts For Wheels
Many thanks and much appreciation goes to the women who work diligently each month to make quilts for those in wheel chairs. Kudos go to: Yvonne, Mary T., Fran, Joan, Mary Ellen, Barb, Lee Ann, Nancy, Mary.
Quilting Bloggers Logo