Friday, July 26, 2013

BE BRAVE AND MAKE A BEAUTY


Do you like hand sewing? To sit on the couch and relax while hand stitching, is something I haven’t done in a while.  In the past my hand sewing consisted of appliqué.  Recently I was scheduled to be out of town and would not be taking my sewing machine.  I began to panic because I didn’t have an appliqué project to work on.  In the past I have banned thoughts of doing patchwork by hand.  Will it hold up?  However, desperate and determined, I figured this would be the perfect time to do some hand stitching on a new project.  While blog hopping I saw several New York Beauties on Sophie Junction’s blog and fell in love with them.  This would be my new project.
I contacted Sophie at Sophie Junction and she informed me that she made her NY Beauties while participating in a Sew Along in 2010.  I tried to contact the person who ran the sew-along since she was right here in Michigan, but didn’t get a response.  I left an inquiry on her blog too but didn’t hear back.  So, being the eager beaver that I am I got patterns for the NY Beauties and started my hand-pieced project.  I downloaded the patterns for free a while ago and tried to find the link for you, but apparently they are no longer free.

 As I recall the patterns were for paper piecing, but since I was not going to take my sewing machine, I made freezer paper templates.  This is as far as I got before I left on my trip.  This is also what the project looked like when I got back!  LOL   At least I had good intentions.
I did work on the block when I got home.  I loved the color combinations that Sophie used in her blocks and am trying to get lots of colors in my block too.
I love how I can use my small scraps for these little pieces.  Hand stitching is difficult and time consuming, but, for me, it is relaxing and rewarding.  What else do you do when watching TV?  Above is my first block.  It may take me forever to make enough blocks for a wall hanging, but I’m having a great time looking and choosing those special colors/fabrics.  Maybe we should have a sew-along so I’ll be better about getting blocks completed? 

ON ANOTHER NOTE: Looking for something quick and easy?  Crazy Mom Quilts has a tutorial for a movin’ on up quilt.

PS:  Linking to Clover & Violet Season By Hand.
Until next time,

Stay Calm! Stay Kind! Stay Positive!
Caroll

5 comments:

Annie said...

Caroll, your beauty will be a beauty! Your colors are bright, wild and quite fun! I've wanted to make a beauty forever. I too saw the free patterns but didn't print them at the time. Then when I wanted to, yep, could not find them free. I finally have a pattern but have yet to tackle the project. Mine will be pillows.

Lynn said...

I do know how to hand piece but I've only done one project this way. I made a table runner. I learned in a beginning quilting class years ago. It was a four week class and the first week we learned how to make templates and hand piece using them.

I love NY Beauty blocks and your fabric choices are great!

Nicole said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so impressed that you did this by hand!

Nancy Page said...

Love your block!! I am so impressed at how it went together, beautiful! Thank you for this great links and for sharing.

Have a super great sewing and stitching day!!

Mama Pea said...

I would not know how to get started on this, although I know how to hand piece. I'm kind of a dunce about hand piecing unless it's English paper piecing...

lkjlkj

Attic Window Teachers

Attic Window Teachers
Attic Window Teachers

Quilting for Kids With Cancer

Quilting for Kids With Cancer
Generosity has no bounds. Above are the women in the Quilts For Kids group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Left to right, Henrietta, Phyllis, Nancy, Carol, Karen. These women donate their time, fabric, money once a month to make quilts for kids who have cancer.

Quilts For Wheels

Quilts For Wheels
Many thanks and much appreciation goes to the women who work diligently each month to make quilts for those in wheel chairs. Kudos go to: Yvonne, Mary T., Fran, Joan, Mary Ellen, Barb, Lee Ann, Nancy, Mary.
Quilting Bloggers Logo