Wednesday, July 3, 2013

NEW SAMPLER SERIES AT ATTIC WINDOW QUILT SHOP

It’s a new month, which means it’s time for another class for the New Sampler Series held at the Attic Window Quilt Shop.  Above is the block that I worked on all afternoon ..... ALL AFTERNOON!  Good grief, most of you could probably knock this out in an hour.  I don’t know what it is with me and piecing.
I was careful.  Read all the instructions over several times before I even made that first cut.  I measured and re-measured and squared up each individual unit.  Everything was working beautifully until I came to the center block.  There were no instructions as to where to place the triangles on the square.  After I made the unit, I realized it would not work because it should have turned out 4 ½” and was only about 4".  I tried using larger triangles.  As you can see, that did not work.  Notice the hole to the right of the scissors.  I finally made a larger center block, attached the triangles and measured to the size I needed.  I sewed all units together and wanted to scream!  My points were cut off as you can see in the first picture!  I finally just finished the block and said heck with it.  I’ll find out from Chris when I attend class what I did wrong.  I hope no one else has this problem.

ON A HAPPIER NOTESew Lux Fabrics has a tutorial for a portable changing pad.  It would make a great gift!

Until next time,

Stay Calm! Stay Kind! Stay Positive!
Caroll

4 comments:

Lynn said...

I would have cut a background square the size of the unfinished unit (4.5"). Then cut four squares for the corner triangles and sewed them to the main square on the diagonal. I think 2.5" square would work. Trim away the excess fabric from underneath the corner triangles and no one would be able to tell that you didn't use the traditional method for creating the unit. It wastes some fabric, but is pretty accurate.

Createology said...

Novice that I am I thought your block is beautiful. I never noticed anything askew. Blissful Stitching...

GeeGee said...

I have always thought that the square in a square was the most difficult to get the right size by adding triangles. Then I started doing the sew and flip method that Lynn described and problem solved.
Your block is lovely, who says everything has to be sewn to perfection to be beautiful and enjoyed?

Mama Pea said...

Looks like a block I would like. Do not kick yourself for poorly written instructions. That is not your fault. I think Lynn's idea is right no. I do not know why anyone would ask you to sew triangles to a square like that. Way too difficult. The best way to do it is to have a square that fits right into the corner, and then you sew it from corner to corner and cut off the excess....as Lynn describes.

lkjlkj

Attic Window Teachers

Attic Window Teachers
Attic Window Teachers

Quilting for Kids With Cancer

Quilting for Kids With Cancer
Generosity has no bounds. Above are the women in the Quilts For Kids group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Left to right, Henrietta, Phyllis, Nancy, Carol, Karen. These women donate their time, fabric, money once a month to make quilts for kids who have cancer.

Quilts For Wheels

Quilts For Wheels
Many thanks and much appreciation goes to the women who work diligently each month to make quilts for those in wheel chairs. Kudos go to: Yvonne, Mary T., Fran, Joan, Mary Ellen, Barb, Lee Ann, Nancy, Mary.
Quilting Bloggers Logo