Wednesday, August 1, 2012

DO YOU GO TO BED ALONE AT NIGHT?

I’m one of those people who has to read a while after I’m in bed.  I find it comforting to wake up with the book next to me.  I’ve usually lost my place, but that’s not a problem.  My problem is finding a good mystery that makes me laugh.  I don’t usually do this, but today I’d like to introduce you to a new author Beth McMullen.  I love mysteries, and I love to laugh.  There aren’t many books that fit that combination.  About a year ago I picked up a book with the title, “Original Sin.”  I’m not sure which word it was, but that title caught my attention.  I was even more intrigued when I read that it was about a woman who used to be a spy, but gave that up to get married and have a child.  But everyone knows no one ever really leaves the USAWMD.  The kicker was that this woman has never told her husband about being a former spy.   The fun begins when our heroine must hide this fact from her husband and child when she is called back to duty one last time.  I loved that book and looked forward to more Sally Sin adventures.

Recently, when I heard Beth had a new book out, I had to get it and read more about the antics of former spy turned housewife and mother.  When I saw "Spy Mom," I almost fell over and quickly checked…615 pages!   Wow!  Then I read on the front that this is two books in one.  What a deal! The first part of "Spy Mom (The Adventures of Sally Sin)" is the first book I had already read – “Original Sin.”  It was such a fun read that I read it again and then just when I thought the thrills were over, I was ready to read the second book, “To Sin Again,” where Sally is once again called into action.  These books are funny and fast paced.  They introduce you to Sally Sin, wife, mother, retired spy.  They offer adventure to anyone who is, or has ever dreamed of being a mother and/or a spy.  You can read more about Beth and her books on her website as well as read the first chapter of each of her books here.

If you know of any other good reads filled with humor and mystery, please leave a comment.  I’ve read all Janet Evanovich books, but would like to hear of others.

REMINDER-Happenings at the Attic Window Quilt Shop:Special Sale on Clearance Fabrics
50-75% off all clearance fabrics during the month of August.

Big Fat Quarter Sale
• Wed., August 1-Sat., August 4
All precut fat quarters in store only $1.00 to $2.00 each. Buy 10 at the regular price and get 2 FREE!

Month of August and September - Sign up for a class and receive a coupon for 1/2 off your second class, good until December 31, 2012. (excludes BOMs, and special events)

One more reminder: Purchase your class supplies at the shop and receive 20% off.

Pitter Putter Stitch has a tutorial for a stunning wallhanging.


Stay Calm! Stay Kind! Stay Positive!
Caroll

3 comments:

dortha said...

Thanks for the heads up on the read. I have one for you if you have not read her books. The author is Anne George. There are eight books. She died before writing more. I got a kick out of them. I hope you do too, if you choose to read them.

Mama Pea said...

A good book never gets old and you can read it again and again. I wish I had the time, inclination, and motivation to read lately....

Allie said...

I loved Original Sin, on your recommendation, I'll look for this one too! My library didn't have it yet. I second the Anne George books, and I recommend Jill Churchill, whose books I'm re-reading right now, and Dorothy Cannell - read them in order! My most favorite books though are Flavia de Luce books by Alan Bradley...just superb!

lkjlkj

Attic Window Teachers

Attic Window Teachers
Attic Window Teachers

Quilting for Kids With Cancer

Quilting for Kids With Cancer
Generosity has no bounds. Above are the women in the Quilts For Kids group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Left to right, Henrietta, Phyllis, Nancy, Carol, Karen. These women donate their time, fabric, money once a month to make quilts for kids who have cancer.

Quilts For Wheels

Quilts For Wheels
Many thanks and much appreciation goes to the women who work diligently each month to make quilts for those in wheel chairs. Kudos go to: Yvonne, Mary T., Fran, Joan, Mary Ellen, Barb, Lee Ann, Nancy, Mary.
Quilting Bloggers Logo