Monday, November 23, 2009

AUNT MILLIE'S BLOCK #7

This is number 7 of the Aunt Millie’s blocks. It was so much fun to make. I just hope it’s not too bright.
.
I imagine everyone in the US is busy this week getting ready for Thanksgiving. Hope everyone has the best day ever. I’m having my family in, then shopping on Black Friday. My daughter and I are up early and standing in line with all the other crazies. Not because we intend to buy as we have really cut back on our lists this year. But this craziness always gets us in the holiday spirit. Contrary to what you may have heard happened at some places last year, where we have been it has always been fun. People sing songs while standing in line, someone passes out hot chocolate or coffee, one year someone even distributed cookies! I remember how surprised I was the first year I went with my daughter. We were in the checkout line at one store, and three women in front of us had their cart stacked high. Not so high that they couldn’t put their pancake breakfast plates from McDonalds on top of their purchases and enjoy breakfast while waiting. What a hoot. Usually people come dressed in Santa hats or wear something with bells to jingle. It’s been a great experience for us and I hope it is for all of you shoppers this year too.
.
When you're out shopping, don't forget to stop by the Attic Window Quilt Shop and take part in their Turkey Sale.
.
Since we’re talking about the upcoming holidays, you might find this Candy Cane tutorial at Lavieen Rosie interesting. I thought these candy canes would make excellent stocking stuffers, or be cute hanging on a tree, or tied to a package. Check it out.

Until Next Time, Happy Quilting,
Caroll

8 comments:

ilovebabyquilts said...

I love that block! It's not too bright, it's perfect.

Allie said...

I LOVE the fabrics you picked for this block! They're so cheerful!
Have a good Thanksgiving and enjoy your shopping - I used to always wear my Santa hat. It was cold at 5am, lol, and my hat was warm! And people did seem to get a kick out of it.

karenshopes said...

Your blog looks fabulous the brighter the better for me.
Karen

Lisa said...

I LOVE your blocks! I can't wait to see the finished quilt. It is not too bright at all!

Vicky F said...

Hi Caroll,
Your block is gorgeous as always. Too bright? Never.
You are just whipping those blocks out like nothing. Can't wait to see how they all look together.
Vicky F

p.s. I avoid the lines whenever possible (drives me nutty) and don't mind paying a bit extra. Sleeping in sounds good to me!

Nancy Page said...

The block is perfect, not too bright, just right, bright and cheery. I think I need to learn more about these blocks.
Kudos to you and your daughter for tackling the Black Friday lines. At 4'11" crowds like that are a bit on the scary side for me.
Thank you for sharing all that you share.

ladybelle said...

Where do you live????? I want to shop where you shop.

Nina Lise@Mrs Moen said...

The block is just perfect, not too bright at all!

I understand your pieceing issues, Caroll; I have to sew way too slowly for my taste when sewing lots of pieces together to get it right. That's probably why I love applique so much:-)

lkjlkj

Attic Window Teachers

Attic Window Teachers
Attic Window Teachers

Quilting for Kids With Cancer

Quilting for Kids With Cancer
Generosity has no bounds. Above are the women in the Quilts For Kids group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Left to right, Henrietta, Phyllis, Nancy, Carol, Karen. These women donate their time, fabric, money once a month to make quilts for kids who have cancer.

Quilts For Wheels

Quilts For Wheels
Many thanks and much appreciation goes to the women who work diligently each month to make quilts for those in wheel chairs. Kudos go to: Yvonne, Mary T., Fran, Joan, Mary Ellen, Barb, Lee Ann, Nancy, Mary.
Quilting Bloggers Logo