Monday, March 21, 2022

HAPPY SCRAPPERS & SHOP HOP REMINDER!

Hello Quilters!  What have you been working on?  I've been practicing my free motion quilting and as you can see, I still need lots of practice  I think it's actually true what they say about getting far away from the quilt and you don't see flaws in your quilting.

And there are spots that don't look too bad.  I chalked in this design with a stencil and just followed the lines.
And there are a couple places that don't look too bad.


But, oh, my, look at the dark fabric.  The quilting really shows up and it is bad.  I know I need lots and lots more practice and any words of wisdom would be appreciated.  How can I get a handle on this?  I don't seem to be in control of my machine, and my mind, well, I need control of that too.  I am used to using pantographs and then knew what to do when.  Unfortunately, I don't have that option now and really need to plan my quilting and be more aware of what I'm doing.  Oh, my!!!

Enough said about that. I really wanted to remind everyone that Happy Scrappers meets this Saturday, March 26, at the Attic Window Quilt Shop.  Hope to see you there!

And don't forget that the Quilt Tracks Shop Hop is still going on.  This is the last weekend March 24, 25, 26.  Time:  Thursday and Friday from 10-5; and Saturday 10-4.  Receive a Free "Prairie Tracks" pattern after visiting all three shops.  20% off Fabric, Patterns, Books, & Notions.  Regular priced merchandise only.  Door Prize Drawing at each shop - a value of $50.  Passport is $6.

The Attic Window Quilt Shop is open Monday-Friday, 10-5; Saturday, 10-4.

Hugs, Caroll

2 comments:

Annie said...

You are so brave to be so determined to control your free motion quilting. It’s something I don’t enjoy, so I don’t do it. I’ve started using stencils on smallish quilts, but I keep my feed dogs up, sewing normally, just following the design. If the quilt isn’t big and the stencil isn’t intricate, maneuvering is easy enough. I know tracing a stencil takes so time, but doing free motion quilting following the stencil design is a great idea.

bobbi said...

Hi Caroll,
But you´re doing great and just got to keep at it!
I remember reading somewhere 20+ years back that you´ll need to FMQ 100+ hours before you´re really happy with your overall stitch regulation and muscle memory gradually becomes instinctive. I never bothered timing my FMQ but somewhere along the way I decided I made it through! haha
One item made an absolute HUGE difference and kept me at it, otherwise I may have given up not long after I started. Do you have a Teflon slider? If so, then this info is for anyone else interested. *smile*
"The Slider has a 100% Teflon® top which creates zero friction and minimizes the drag on your patchwork during free motion quilting (FMQ)"--both on the metal of your machine bed as well as the plastic of your quilting table.
https://www.supremeslider.com/
Believe it or not, I´m still using my original thin sheet Teflon slider from Pat, still taping the thin sheet down onto my table each time I FMQ (they didn´t self-stick at the start :o)), the tiny hole for the needle has had to be "enlarged" over the years and it´s dinged up a bit but it´s still the best help to free flowing FMQ.
But of course it helps to also not to let gravity-drag restrict your quilting movements; large enough space for the quilt to lie, loosely flat or even bundled up is okay, up on the table and in my lap sometimes up in my face! is necessary for me at least. I think the largest quilt I´ve FMQed on my little Pfaff 6270 (the only machine I have and love) so far was about 120x140 inches.
There are lots of little things you learn along the way, and sooo many awesome quilts to quilt! Keep up the good work, change thread colors to match fabrics keeps stitching from standing out too much ... otherwise, you´re definitely well on your way.
Always happy quilting and hugs from Germany!
Bobbi

lkjlkj

Attic Window Teachers

Attic Window Teachers
Attic Window Teachers

Quilting for Kids With Cancer

Quilting for Kids With Cancer
Generosity has no bounds. Above are the women in the Quilts For Kids group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Left to right, Henrietta, Phyllis, Nancy, Carol, Karen. These women donate their time, fabric, money once a month to make quilts for kids who have cancer.

Quilts For Wheels

Quilts For Wheels
Many thanks and much appreciation goes to the women who work diligently each month to make quilts for those in wheel chairs. Kudos go to: Yvonne, Mary T., Fran, Joan, Mary Ellen, Barb, Lee Ann, Nancy, Mary.
Quilting Bloggers Logo