Tuesday, December 29, 2009

HOW TO KEEP YOUR NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS



Do you have this problem? Another year has passed and your sewing room is in chaos after the Christmas rush of gift making. Over the past year, you’ve added umpteen new tops to the to-be-quilted pile, and you totally forget what resolutions you made last year. Here’s what you can do to make 2010 Resolutions stick.
  1. Be realistic. In other words, Aim Low. You cannot conquer the mountain over night.

  2. Talk about your resolutions. Make your friends and family sick of hearing what you intend to accomplish in 2010. It is only through this verbal commitment that your mind accepts the challenge ahead.

  3. Write your resolutions on paper and put that list where you can see it daily (DO NOT use it as a bookmark).

  4. Plan ahead. Planning is probably what got you in trouble in the first place. Quilters are master planners. The problem most likely is over planning. However, just planning isn’t enough. You must include enough detail. “I will finish this quilt by such and such a date (be specific) and by finish I mean sandwiched, quilted, and bound with a label on the back.”

  5. Reward yourself. Be sure and promise yourself a reward for your achievements. This makes it so much easier to stick to those promises.

After looking at my chaotic studio, I decided I needed to make some resolutions of my own. You, fellow quilters are my friends and family and hopefully will hold me to the gun.

  • I promise that I will dig through my box of finished quilt tops (finished but not sandwiched together) and sandwich, quilt, and bind one quilt from that box. The above picture is just one of those in that box.
  • I promise to dig through my boxes of unfinished projects and complete at least one. By complete I mean at least finish the top so that it is ready to be sandwiched and put on the quilting frame. Deciding which project will be the hardest thing I do. Mainly because there will always be a new project calling my name and saying, “Pick me. Pick me.”
  • I promise to make one quilt completely from my scrap bag and not purchase one piece of fabric for it! Straightening your stash does all kinds of funny things to you causing you to make rash promises, but I’m going to do that. I really am!
  • As my reward for completing the above three resolutions I will allow myself to purchase EQ software, and only make that purchase AFTER I have completed my three resolutions.

Don’t forget that our Annual New Year’s Day Sale at the Attic Window Quilt Shop is from 10-3 with a 25% to 75% discount. It’s that time to clean out some of our bolts, boxes and many hiding spots, along with samples and etc.

Our Year Long Quilter’s Journey starts Saturday, Jan. 2, here at the Attic Window. Join us and 11 other shops for only a $5 sign up fee, which can be done at any of the following shops: Quilter’s Stitch; Yards of Fabric; Around the Block; Marshall House; Hen House; Everlasting Stitches; Quilts Plus; Forever Fabrics; Quilt N Go; Wooden Spool; & Smith Owen.

Geta has a great tutorial for a shopping bag. Think green!

Hope everyone has a happy New Year!

Until next time,
Caroll

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

No resolutions here....I'll just do my best at anything I chose to conquer whether it be work out more, stitch more, gripe less or whatever. :-)
I wanted to comment on the pretty quilt top! It is very, very pretty!!

Lurline said...

Resolutions are all made, Caroll - ready to be broken, lol!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Vicky F said...

Hi Caroll,
Do you want me to e-mail you every month to see how your resolutions are coming??

Since I know I can't stop making new things, I'm going to do it this way: finish one older thing each month, then work on a new thing (say a block-a-month) whenever.

I really like your quilt top in the post.
Vicky F

Cristina said...

Grazie......faccio dei tuoi consigli una legge...
Buon 2010.....
cri

Marci P said...

Carol you're blogs have been wonderful addition to the attic window in 2009. They have been creative and helpful and, well, FUN! Thank you for sharing with us. Now about the resolution thing, um, ok I'll try. :)

Rae Ann said...

I've tried to be realistic this year in setting my resolutions. My favorite one is....Quilt a Little Each Day! :)

Mary Lou Weidman said...

This was very well written...but I have to find the piece of paper I wrote my resolutions down on and many times in my sewing room, that is like a needle in a haystack....I wish I was more organized but then I don't think I could do what I do if I was. Loved the photo! Thank you........

Anonymous said...

just found your site - live in austin texas and what a wonderful store you have!! so many samples, classes, etc. wished that I lived there- anyhow - will keep enjoying your store news and just appreciate your inspiring classes and models! Mary Beard

West Michigan Quilter said...

Mary, since I can't send you a reply e-mail, I wanted to thank you here. We have a lot of talented ladies who teach and let me place pictures of their samples on my blog. I hope you continue to visit and enjoy this blog.

Nancy Page said...

Love your suggestions on keeping your New Year's Resolutions. They are down to earth and realistic. I am going to make use of them. At least I am going to do my best to make use of these suggestions. Thank you so much for sharing.
Have a great day.

lkjlkj

Attic Window Teachers

Attic Window Teachers
Attic Window Teachers

Quilting for Kids With Cancer

Quilting for Kids With Cancer
Generosity has no bounds. Above are the women in the Quilts For Kids group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Left to right, Henrietta, Phyllis, Nancy, Carol, Karen. These women donate their time, fabric, money once a month to make quilts for kids who have cancer.

Quilts For Wheels

Quilts For Wheels
Many thanks and much appreciation goes to the women who work diligently each month to make quilts for those in wheel chairs. Kudos go to: Yvonne, Mary T., Fran, Joan, Mary Ellen, Barb, Lee Ann, Nancy, Mary.
Quilting Bloggers Logo