Wednesday, December 2, 2009

KNOTTY GIRLS ARE AT IT AGAIN

I went to the Knotty Girls Bee Tuesday evening at the Attic Window Quilt Shop and look at what I found. Above is the Sue Spargo wall hanging that Sherri is working on. I love the way she is embellishing it with beads.

Sue is working on this lovely wall hanging. She told me she still had a lot to do. Wonder if she will be embellishing it with beads too? These girls really have the patience I don’t have to do this intricate work. Their projects turn out beautiful.
.
Sheri Howard of Sheri Howard Designs left me these hints to help with my piecing. They are so fantastic that I wanted to share them with you:
.
Well I will add my "what it's worth department" comment on piecing in general.
...1. You must be 100% sure your seams are a true 1/4" Some of us think it is, but it also includes the sewing thread. So (ha ha) sew a 1/4" seam, press and measure with an accurate device and if you are off even a 1/16th or 1/32, your piecing will not be on and it get worse as you try to add pieces. Believe me, I have found this to be true the hard way.
...2. When pressing, press the piece flat on top of the sewing before you press the seams in one direction, and press after every row, or every triangle...pressing means just that...press, don't iron back and forth. When you press the sewn stitching, it helps heat set the thread and makes a more accurate pressed seam later.
...3. Use PINS! I know we all want to hold it as we go, but it is too difficult to keep the seams tight up against each other if not! It takes a lot of time, but is so worth it if you have a lot of little pieces.
...4. Finally, square up each round of the block as you go, making sure it is the correct size before adding the borders, etc.
Thanks Sheri. I will take these things into account this afternoon when I start another project.
.
I just read that Kellie of Don’t Look Now can’t sew or cut a straight seam, so I guess I’m in good company. You can read about her and see her beautiful new quilt here.

The Bronze Wombat has a fantastic folded star. You must see this to see how clever it is.

Happy Quilting,
Caroll

2 comments:

Karen said...

The gingerbread man basket is cute as can be!

Micki said...

I Love the pics of the projects It would be hard to decide which one I loved best.
Micki

lkjlkj

Attic Window Teachers

Attic Window Teachers
Attic Window Teachers

Quilting for Kids With Cancer

Quilting for Kids With Cancer
Generosity has no bounds. Above are the women in the Quilts For Kids group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Left to right, Henrietta, Phyllis, Nancy, Carol, Karen. These women donate their time, fabric, money once a month to make quilts for kids who have cancer.

Quilts For Wheels

Quilts For Wheels
Many thanks and much appreciation goes to the women who work diligently each month to make quilts for those in wheel chairs. Kudos go to: Yvonne, Mary T., Fran, Joan, Mary Ellen, Barb, Lee Ann, Nancy, Mary.
Quilting Bloggers Logo