Sunday, October 18, 2009

THINGS MY MOTHER TOLD ME

My mother used to clean house every spring, from top to bottom, washing walls, cleaning wallpaper, changing drapes, etc. When I became an adult, I complained that not all that really was necessary any more since we no longer heated our house with coal, which spewed soot everywhere. I was thankful I did not have to wad up balls of wallpaper paste or change drapes every season. I was thankful for so many things, but my mother still insisted, “Caroll, you need to do a deep cleaning at least once a year.” This week it finally dawned on me, rippled through my thick brain and stuck, just why I need to do as my mother said.
.
While trying to sort out my sewing room, I found an “It’s A Girl” panel that I had started to put together years ago. I have never cared for panels. It seemed like cheating to me. Besides, I was new to piecing and could not make it look like I thought it should, so I put it aside. When I found it the other day, I knew I had to finish it. At a recent baby shower for my granddaughter, I had given her bumper pads and a blanket in just the same soft yellow and purple colors. I ran upstairs, excited about my find and showed it to my mother, explaining to her what happened, how I had put it away and forgotten about it. The Biggest-Flirt-in-the-World shook her head sadly, heaved a big where-did-I-go-wrong sigh and said, “It’s no wonder you don’t have a man.”
.
Undaunted, I reminded myself that I had so much to be thankful for and that I’d rather be quilting than cleaning and put it on the frame and finished the darn thing. Don’t think it turned out too awful terrible, do you? It is going it the mail to her tomorrow. Hope she likes it. Now about that spring-cleaning…..I’ll think about that in the spring

Val Laird has free BOM stitchery patterns with the theme of What Love Is. You have to click around on the site but you can find where you can download all of them.

Hopless in Michigan,

Caroll

14 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That is a lot cuter than a lot of the panels I have seen. Congrats for finishing it.

I have never been a big believer in the twice a year deep cleaning either. It gets done when it gets done and that is usually just before a family gathering.

Micki said...

It is so pretty! Congrats on geting it done, and what a treasure it is!
Micki

Nina Lise@Mrs Moen said...

Lol; there's nothing like motherly love, is there... I too will rather quilt than clean!
The panel turned out just lovely.

Joyful Quilter said...

Are we related? I swear your mother and my mother are same person. LOL Pretty quilt, I think your priorities are right on!

Kimberly Mason said...

Oooo I love this panel, must be the way you quilted it, cuz it doesn't look all panel-y-ish. Delightful.

And speaking of delightful, this months redwork is truly delightful. Almost makes me want to start my own redwork (actually I AM giving it serious thought!)

Kimberly Mason said...

Oooo I love this panel, must be the way you quilted it, cuz it doesn't look all panel-y-ish. Delightful.

And speaking of delightful, this months redwork is truly delightful. Almost makes me want to start my own redwork (actually I AM giving it serious thought!)

Vicky F said...

I agree; I have mixed feelings about panels myself. Yours is very cute, however. The ones that I have "made" in the past for baby showers were appreciated, but I too feel like I cheated.
Vicky F

Betsy said...

you did a beautiful job quilting that panel. I actually thought it was all appliqued at first glance.

Cindy said...

I think our Moms are related. And, "drapes" were so heavy and common "back then" that you wouldn't want to take them down but once a year.........as Mom still calls it "Spring cleaning".

How many of us REALLY put up those heavy daunting drapes anymore? For me, it's sheers, valances and cotton curtains that I can change out at anytime.

BUT - now that you mention, maybe a "spring cleaning" should be in order - BUT ONLY in my sewing closet...LOL

blushing rose said...

What a gorgeous creation, so bright & lively.
Have a lovely week. TTFN ~Marydon

Anonymous said...

looks fantastic :)

West Michigan Quilter said...

This is a test.

Unknown said...

Forget about what mum says the quilt if fantastic I am sure your niece will love it. I am like you too many quilts to sew and too many other things to make to take a week or two off for cleaning house like that. Just keeping up with daily life is enough for me ;)
Besides the last time I had company come was about a year and a half ago. I don't count when family comes to do something for me like fix the flat tire or change the oil in the lawn mower :) So why bother with spring cleaning ;)
M

Chookyblue...... said...

how are the commenst going..........did it work out ok yet.........nice quilt..........did a major clean here just at the start of the month.......

lkjlkj

Attic Window Teachers

Attic Window Teachers
Attic Window Teachers

Quilting for Kids With Cancer

Quilting for Kids With Cancer
Generosity has no bounds. Above are the women in the Quilts For Kids group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Left to right, Henrietta, Phyllis, Nancy, Carol, Karen. These women donate their time, fabric, money once a month to make quilts for kids who have cancer.

Quilts For Wheels

Quilts For Wheels
Many thanks and much appreciation goes to the women who work diligently each month to make quilts for those in wheel chairs. Kudos go to: Yvonne, Mary T., Fran, Joan, Mary Ellen, Barb, Lee Ann, Nancy, Mary.
Quilting Bloggers Logo