Sunday, September 18, 2011

HAVE YOU THOUGHT ABOUT MAKING A BED SKIRT?

Yesterday when I was changing beds and doing laundry it occurred to me that I never did post about the bed skirt that I made.  Years ago when I was relatively new to quilting, I took a Sampler class at the Attic Window Quilt Shop.  I made all the blocks for the sampler but never did get the quilt put together.  I didn’t know how to make a sandwich, and didn’t have a quilting machine and couldn’t afford to have it done, so I put it aside.  I discovered during this time how much I loved appliqué and decided to take those block designs and put them on a bed skirt.
The blocks are quite wide, so I cut strips of fabric long enough so that I could slightly gather it onto an pre-made bedskirt, and long enough to allow a deep hem.  Then I appliquéd two blocks on what would be each side of the bed skirt.
This bed skirt has been on this bed for years (I know for over five years because it was on the bed when mother came to live with me).  It has held up well with repeated washings and as you can see in the above picture, the morning sun hits it and it doesn’t seem to have faded any.  

Sew Happy Me is having a Christmas Stitchery sew-along.  She will post darling patterns for you weekly.  Stop over and check out these darling patterns that you will want to make in time for Christmas. 
 
QuiltViews & News has a free tree skirt pattern for you.

The Harvest Shop Hop begins this week. Fourteen shops are participating. You won’t want to miss this big two-weekend event!  The Hop is Thursday, Sept. 22 through Sat., Sept. 24 and Thursday, Sept. 29 through Sat., Oct. 1.  A bus is available.  This is the tenth year for the shop hop and the shops are going all out to make it a special event.  The passport is only $10 and you will receive free patterns and a pin. Call the Attic Window Quilt Shop to register.
Stay calm! Stay kind! Stay Positive!
Caroll

7 comments:

kelgurl said...

BEAUTIFUL--and what a great idea!

Nancy Page said...

Just super lovely! What a super great idea for a bed skirt. It adds so much to the quilt. Thank you for sharing.

Have a super great sewing and stitching day.

Barb said...

Oh my gosh, this is just fabulous...and you do know that applique s my favorite as well...

Vicky F said...

Hi Caroll,
Hope things are settling down for you!
Your bedskirt is very pretty. Mine is a boring white eyelet.
Does your cat like to play under the skirt and "get" you when you go by?
Vicky F

Allie said...

Caroll, you're just full of delightful surprises - I love that bed skirt, and no, I never thought about making one! But how darling is that!

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

What a very creative way to use the blocks into the bed skirt. Lovely. Hugs Judy

Mama Pea said...

That is an AMAZING bedskirt! I have been wanting to make some for our beds, but I am intimidated by it! :-)

lkjlkj

Attic Window Teachers

Attic Window Teachers
Attic Window Teachers

Quilting for Kids With Cancer

Quilting for Kids With Cancer
Generosity has no bounds. Above are the women in the Quilts For Kids group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Left to right, Henrietta, Phyllis, Nancy, Carol, Karen. These women donate their time, fabric, money once a month to make quilts for kids who have cancer.

Quilts For Wheels

Quilts For Wheels
Many thanks and much appreciation goes to the women who work diligently each month to make quilts for those in wheel chairs. Kudos go to: Yvonne, Mary T., Fran, Joan, Mary Ellen, Barb, Lee Ann, Nancy, Mary.
Quilting Bloggers Logo