Monday, September 23, 2013

CAN YOU MAKE A QUILT LIKE THIS?


I had out-of-state company last week and we spent a good part of the week/weekend at ArtPrizeArtPrize is a 19-day international art competition held in three square miles of downtown Grand Rapids, Michigan. Art from around the world pops up in every inch of downtown, and it's all free and open to the public. It is so epic that Time Magazine called ArtPrize one of "Five Festive Events You Won't Want to Miss in 2013."
 You can imagine my delight when we walked into DeVos Place and saw this beautiful quilt.  A man was standing by the quilt, holding a baseball cap in his hands as he explained his quilt to a viewer.  I tried to get closer.  I was impressed that a man made this quilt and wanted to ask him how he got that binding to look so perfect.  After a few seconds and a few inches closer the man turned to me and thrust the hat toward me.  “Take this,” he said.  Take this?  Why would I want his sweaty old hat?  I wanted to know more about the quilt.  “Here, take this,” he said again, thrusting the hat at me.  Apprehensive, I took the hat and then realized why he wanted me to take it.  “This is…oh, my gosh, this hat and that quilt are made of wood!” I exclaimed.  Fraser Smith  smiled and nodded his head.  I stepped closer to the quilt and admired the “stitching” on it.  I was really fooled by this beautiful carved wood.  To get a closer look at Fraser Smith's other pieces, go here.  I hope he wins a prize!  I wish I could make a cloth quilt that looked that great!

ON ANOTHER NOTE:  Urban Threads has a tutorial for a Keyboard Cat!
 

Until next time,

Stay Calm! Stay Kind! Stay Positive!
Caroll

9 comments:

Terry said...

I follow him on facebook! His quilts are just amazing! :0)

Unknown said...

Oh, I can't do anything like this.
Have a nice week!

Lynn said...

Wow! What a treat to get to see some of his work in person.

Unknown said...

Welcome back to my blog, thanks.

Annie said...

Boy, I don't know what to say other than WOW!

Unknown said...

I saw him last year. His work is amazing!!

Unknown said...

I saw him last year. His work is amazing!!

Nancy Page said...

Stunning!! Gorgeous!! His work is amazing! He is one very talented woodworker! Thank you for sharing!

Have a super great sewing and stitching day!!

Mama Pea said...

I have heard of him. That is amazing work!

lkjlkj

Attic Window Teachers

Attic Window Teachers
Attic Window Teachers

Quilting for Kids With Cancer

Quilting for Kids With Cancer
Generosity has no bounds. Above are the women in the Quilts For Kids group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Left to right, Henrietta, Phyllis, Nancy, Carol, Karen. These women donate their time, fabric, money once a month to make quilts for kids who have cancer.

Quilts For Wheels

Quilts For Wheels
Many thanks and much appreciation goes to the women who work diligently each month to make quilts for those in wheel chairs. Kudos go to: Yvonne, Mary T., Fran, Joan, Mary Ellen, Barb, Lee Ann, Nancy, Mary.
Quilting Bloggers Logo