Friday, August 30, 2019

A FINISH FOR FRIDAY

You might remember Adrienne's class at the Attic Window Quilt Shop that I posted about here. You might also remember that she gave me a bag of low volume scraps to make my own quilt.  I started on that last week and I think I am finished. I think.  As I sewed my scraps I got to wondering about what else I could make with these scraps and got a little sidetracked.  I made a bag using Adrienne's method of sewing pieces of fabric together.  The bag is all made from scraps, even the lining.  I did spend 90 cents on a new zipper.  

The bag turned out a little drab for me so I appliqued on this flower to perk it up.
This is the inside.  I dug through my scrap bag and found enough leftover scraps for the inside.  The bag is 8" x 11" and I used the pattern:  Noodlehead's Wide Open Zipper Pouch.

Also, I forgot to tell you about my mistake with Free Motion Quilting.  After I had completed two rows I happened to turn the piece over and discovered the tension was wacky.  Fixed it and moved on.  It had been a while since I had done any FMQ and completely forgot about the tension.  Also, I don't think I told you I use water dissolving thread when practicing.  This is awesome.  I just use it in the bobbin.  After I had filled up my piece, I placed it in a pan of water and within five minutes I was able to pull all the top threads out and hang the pieces up to dry.  Today I just need to press the pieces, make them into a sandwich again, and practice some more.  What a fun way to spend this holiday weekend.  Hope you all have a great time too!

Mark your Calendar Now!  The Country Fair Road Tour 2019 is set for September 19, 20 and 21 (Thursday, Friday and Saturday). Take a ride on the Country Fair Barn Quilt Tour.  Participating shops are: New Ewe in Newaygo; Quilted Memories, Montague; Seven Sisters, Carson City; and Attic Window Quilt Shop, Comstock Park.


AT THE ATTIC WINDOW QUILT SHOP 
  • Stitch-In, Friday and Saturday, Aug. 30-31
  • CLOSED, Monday, Sept. 2
  • Charity Quilts, Monday, Sept. 9
ON ANOTHER NOTE:
Caroll, 
Caring, Sharing, Creating Smiles

2 comments:

Annie said...

This pouch is adorable, Caroll. I’m wondering now about this special way of sewing the scraps together. In any case, it looks great. The bright flower does perk up the low volumes. Oh, bummer, so much free motion work with an off tension. Luckily it was just practice and not your actual piece to quilt. Sometimes it can be a nasty little reminder for little things we forget..like tension. Enjoy your holiday weekend quilting!

Terry said...

What an adorable little bag...I love it! :0)

lkjlkj

Attic Window Teachers

Attic Window Teachers
Attic Window Teachers

Quilting for Kids With Cancer

Quilting for Kids With Cancer
Generosity has no bounds. Above are the women in the Quilts For Kids group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Left to right, Henrietta, Phyllis, Nancy, Carol, Karen. These women donate their time, fabric, money once a month to make quilts for kids who have cancer.

Quilts For Wheels

Quilts For Wheels
Many thanks and much appreciation goes to the women who work diligently each month to make quilts for those in wheel chairs. Kudos go to: Yvonne, Mary T., Fran, Joan, Mary Ellen, Barb, Lee Ann, Nancy, Mary.
Quilting Bloggers Logo